How To Update Your Xbox One MadCatz Firmware
Welcome back to our How-To series. In this guide we’ll be walking you through updating your instrument firmware. If you're looking for PlayStation®4 firmware, please refer to this page.
What is firmware and why do I need to update it anyway?
Great question! The short answer is this: firmware helps your controllers do what they’re supposed to do. Many of the devices that you have at home (consoles, stereos, media players) use firmware. From time to time firmware needs to be updated to improve the way your controllers or at home devices work. We have several firmware updates for MadCatz-developed instruments.
How do I know which instruments need firmware updates?
If you are experiencing instrument disconnects or are having a hard time drumming, it may be time to update your firmware. You only need the latest version, so if you've installed that, you are up-to-date.
What do I need to update my firmware?
For all of your controllers you’ll need:
- A Windows 7, 8.1, or 10 PC OR Apple Mac running OS X 10.10 or higher
- A USB to USB Micro Cable
- The USB port on your Xbox One instrument controllers is located in the battery compartment.
- Fresh batteries in your controller
- Be sure to leave the batteries in while you update!
- The firmware updater
Step 1: Connect your instrument controller to your computer and install the update
Use your USB to USB Micro Cable to connect your instrument to your Apple Mac or PC. Insert one end into the port in the battery compartment and the other into your computer.
Step 2: Remove your instrument controller from your Apple Mac or PC’s devices list
- Once the installation is complete, unplug and you’ll be good to go.
- If you lose the connection with your instrument at any time, you’ll need to do the following:
- Release both buttons and then restart the update process
- Replace the battery
- Press and hold the Xbox Guide and View buttons
- Remove one battery
Step 3: Connect your controller back to your console
- Power on your console
- Sync your controller
- Press the Sync button on the side of your console until the console light pulses
- Press the Sync button on your instrument
Step 4: Launch the game and recalibrate
Step 5: Rock out
If you have any questions, need assistance, or just want to check in with us, please feel free to submit a ticket at rockband4.com/support.